There are many ways to start to get healthy. Go for a walk. Stop drinking sodas, beer or anything with sugar. Drink more filtered alkaline water. Eat half of what you normally eat in one day. Chew your food much more. Avoid bread and all flour products. Eat more vegetables preferably organic.Take a good whole food vitamin supplement like Catalyn. Fast for one day a week...no food only water. Get a Health Coach...I know a really good one! Start with one or two of these suggestions or start them all for Faster results! #HealthCoachTips, #gethealthy, #loseweight, #feelgreat
Did you know.....Splitting up an 30-minute exercise routine into three shorter increments can be even more effective at controlling blood pressure than doing the workout all at once. #healthcoachtips, #exercise, #bloodpressure
It’s amazing how often I hear about someone taking a prescription drug for one symptom or another. It is not uncommon for that same person to not only be taking a prescription but two or three. In fact, it is very common for senior citizens to be taking six, seven or more more prescriptions for various symptoms they suffer with.
Unfortunately, what they don’t realize is that it is usually those same prescriptions that cause other symptoms for which they are prescribed more prescription pills. For example, Avandia, a common prescription drug for Diabetes can cause many side effects.
The most common side effects of Avandia included:
You’re a diabetic taking Avandia and up to nearly 10% get upper respiratory infections and you go back to your doctor who then prescribes something else for that (which may cause more side effects) and it starts a never ending viscous cycle of doctors and more drugs.
Then there are the less common (but more serious) side effects to deal with such as trouble breathing, a rapid increase in weight, or vision changes.
It gets worse. According to a U.S. Senate committee, Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline knew of possible heart attack risks tied to its controversial diabetes drug Avandia years before evidence of a link became public.
The committee asked the Food and Drug Administration why it allowed a clinical trial of Avandia to continue even after the agency estimated that the drug caused 83,000 heart attacks between 1999 and 2007.
As a result of the increased rate of death among seniors, drugs such as Zyprexa, Risperdal, Navane, Moban and others have now received a “black box” warning.
I question why does it have to take thousands of lives to die before action is taken?
Another problem that exists in healthcare or more appropriately “sick care” is pharmacy errors. Pharmacy errors happen more frequently than you might think. The Institute of Medicine took a hard look at prescription errors, including those in hospitals and long-term care facilities. The study released in July 2006, showed that at a minimum, 1.5 million consumers annually are killed, injured, or made sick by drug errors.
The two most common causes of errors:
• Unreadable prescriptions • Never-ending distractions at the pharmacy
Then there are the errors that are never caught or reported, not to mention the debate as to what constitutes an “error.”
One pharmacist who asked to remain anonymous said “We are told to never apologize for giving a wrong prescription because it automatically implies guilt. I suppose the company wants to leave that to the attorneys,” the pharmacist said.
How do you like that?
So what can you do? This is what I do. I take care of my body. I follow the Seven Healthy Habits. I stay away from doctors as much as possible. I only use them in emergency situations like when I flipped my motorcycle and ended up with a laceration to the head, fractured shoulder blade, slight rib fractures (2), and badly bruised right hip. I actually did not want to go to the emergency room but my former wife, Angelica, insisted I go. I was unconscious at first and then went into what appeared seizures and when I regained consciousness I could not get up. I knew I was badly hurt but I wanted Angelica to take me to our office and take X-rays.
Long story short… I did go to the E.R. They kept insisting that I needed to have surgery to my fractured right shoulder blade. I kept refusing and told them I did not authorize them to perform any surgery to my shoulder. The shoulder blade just cracked and did not pierce through the skin. I knew it would heal on it’s own. It was confirmed when Angelica called an orthopedic surgeon I know and she explained to him what had happened. He said he didn’t think I needed surgery either. So all they did was shave a small circle on my head and put three staples where I had the laceration to my head.
They kept me overnight for observation because of the being knocked unconscious and the concussion/head trauma. The next morning I was released to go home. The doctor prescribed Tylenol with codeine for the pain and when I asked if he could prescribe something different because I was allergic to codeine he refused (they were not to happy I did not allow them to cut me open).
What did I use for the pain? Ice packs and magnets. I was back in the office after about three weeks. I tried working on patients after about four weeks but my should blade still hurt quite a bit so I waited another two weeks and started light work. I was fully recovered after eight weeks. Still had slight pain but I was working full time.
Take care of your body. Eat healthy. Follow the 80/20 rule. Exercise regularly. Take high quality vitamin supplements. See your Chiropractor/Massage Therapist/Body Worker regularly. And one of the best things you can do for your spine… use an Inversion Machine and Hang Out For The Health of It!
1. Physical Trauma- Trauma can be a major event like a car crash, slips and falls, sports injuries and lifting injuries. Trauma can also be a minor event such as repetitive movements over time or poor posture while working on an assembly line. Most traumas can be prevented with some training, knowledge and a preventative approach. Trauma is perhaps the most common cause of pain. Very often a car crash causes spinal misalignments that most always go undetected even by emergency room physicians. ER doctors are trained to look for life threatening injuries. I have reviewed hundreds of X-rays from the hospitals that demonstrate spinal misalignments and the patient was told that they would only be sore for a few days since no bones were broken. The patient went to an orthopedic doctor and was prescribed pills for pain and inflammation and maybe sent to physical therapy. But since chiropractors are the only specialists trained to detect and correct spinal misalignments, the patient many times continues to suffer with pain six months or even one year later. These types of injuries usually heal within two to three months with proper Chiropractic care. Another common problem is misdiagnosis. Disc herniations are often overlooked in motor vehicle accidents and especially in work injuries where the injured employee is sent to the “company doctor” and told that he/she has a simple back strain. Company doctors do not want to complicate things for the company. The injured employee is given pain meds and told to go back to work. If they are lucky they might be given light duty. When these injuries are not diagnosed correctly the patient suffers and their pain can become chronic and severe. Fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome or reflex sympathetic dystrophy can develop from improperly treated pain and injuries. Misdiagnosis and improper treatments are huge problem in America today.
2. Poor Foundation–The feet are the foundation of the body. If the feet are not supported properly, this can lead to many problems, which can be prevented. Wearing good arch supports are important to stabilize and support the feet, ankles, hips and back. One leg might also be slightly shorter than the other. A simple heel lift in the shorter leg can correct this problem. These two corrections help level the foundation and prevent micro trauma to the ankles, knees, hips, back and shoulders. It can also prevent heel spurs and foot pain. The foundation of a building needs to be level. If the foundation is not level what happens to the walls? They begin to crack. The human body is similar. If the feet, which are the foundation of the body, are not level and well supported, the knees are usually what begin to ache and break down first. Pain can occur in the feet, ankles, knees, hips, low back and up to the shoulders. There needs to be proper alignment and foot support, which in turn creates balance.
3. Poor Body Mechanics / Improper Lifting -Many people have not been taught the correct way to lift. You lift by bending at the knees and squatting. Some people think you should lift with the legs when lifting only big heavy things. You should make it a habit to lift even the smallest things correctly to protect your back and spine. Repeated bending over at the waist to lift can strain and injure your back muscles, loosen the ligaments that hold the spinal vertebra in place. Improper lifting is the most common way to herniate a disc next to trauma. Improper lifting can cause mild to severe pain to the muscles and spine.
4. Lack of Exercise / Improper Exercise – When muscles are not used, they begin to weaken and atrophy. There is a saying that is so true, “Use it or loose it.” Lack of exercise causes poor muscle tone. Poor muscle tone contributes to poor posture. Poor posture causes spinal distortion and spinal problems. Spinal distortion causes nerve interference. Nerve interference can cause pain and many health problems. Improper exercise is walking or running if you have bad knees, hips or ankles. This will only aggravate your problem and make it worse. You need to find the right exercise for you. If you have bad knees or hips what you need are good mineral supplements, maybe bicycling or swimming, and arch supports (See # 2). Exercise and proper nutrition (See # 8) keeps your joints well-lubricated, circulation good and helps balance your hormone levels. Muscle toning, especially the abdominal and lower back or core muscles, is vital for a healthy spine and body. Proper exercise is medicine to the body, mind and soul. There are hundreds of books written on the many benefits of exercise.
5. Poor Posture/ Gravitational Compression - When was the last time you saw your posture? Look in the mirror and be sincere and honest with yourself. Have someone that loves and cares about you give you some honest feedback about your posture. Do the same for them. How is your posture when you are sitting, driving, working on the computer, working at home, playing sports, hobbies, sleeping, lifting or when you’re reading? Household chores like washing dishes, vacuuming; making the beds, picking up dirty clothes doesn’t have to strain your muscles if you use good posture. If it needs improving work on it. Have your spouse or children help you by having them remind you when they see you slouching. Proper head posture while reading is to hold up whatever it is you are reading while holding your head straight. Look down with your eyes instead of tilting your head down. Gravity also effects posture. Gravity’s compressional force is acting on our spine and muscles approximately sixteen hours a day. Our spine is being compressed when we are sitting or standing. There is nothing better than good Chiropractic care and inversion therapy to reverse the negative effects of gravity. Poor posture and gravity are the most common causes of pain next to trauma.
6. Lack of Love and Nurturing-There has been many studies performed on the effects regarding the lack of love and nurturing. The lack of love negatively affects the immune system, stress levels, blood pressure, longevity, IQ and other areas of the body, mind and soul. Negative thoughts and emotions like hate, greed, anger, and jealousy will negatively impact your health and cause disease. Instead of letting these negative thoughts stay with you practice what the Hippocratic Oath states: “Warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon’s knife or the chemist’s drug.” Love also has a healing effect. Give love unconditionally. Love yourself. You will feel good about it, and it is positive for the mind, body and soul. “Where there is LOVE, there is LIFE.” Mahatma Gandhi
7. Lack of Quality Sleep- This is a very common problem in America today. Unfortunately, millions of people succumb to the billion dollar pharmaceutical advertising, the medical system and their pills. Most people need six to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. Eat healthy and not late at night. Exercise several times a week. Find solutions to problems that arise in life and do not let them escalate to where they cause tremendous stress in your life. Practice good posture even when you go to bed. Sleeping on your stomach is not good posture because you have to twist your head and neck in order to breath. You also need a good pillow depending on whether you sleep on your back or your side. Large puffy pillows will make your head bend forward too much when sleeping on your back. A pillow between the knees can help take pressure off the knees, low back and pelvis. You might need to purchase a new mattress also. Many times patients ask me if a hard mattress is better than a soft one. My reply is, “How do you wake up feeling in the morning?” If you wake up feeling like you have been run over then you might need a new mattress. Misalignment of your spine can also cause you to not sleep well. Inversion and a good Chiropractor are the best things for correcting spinal misalignments. Exercise is also one of the best “sleeping pills” to help you get a good night sleep.
8. Lack of Needed Nutrients- Our diet should consist of good natural whole foods as the basis of our nutrition. We also need to supplement our diets with essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, enzymes, antioxidants and proteins. If we are deficient our body starts to break down or not heal properly. These nutrients are especially important so that the muscles, nerves, brain, spinal cord, organs and glands function optimally. Most medical doctors used to tell their patients that they just needed to eat right. Doctors that are truly knowledgeable about nutrition all now agree that vitamins/ minerals/ enzymes are needed for maintaining good health and preventing disease. Check out Usana’s vitamin/mineral supplements. They have been independently rated the highest nutritional supplements in the world.
Eat to live and to nourish your body. Don’t live to eat. Overeating is an overload to your digestive organs. It is a compulsive behavior brought on by stress, depression, television commercials and certain addicting chemicals in packaged snack foods. Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food.
9. Emotional Stress/Emotional Trauma -The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. This insanity cycle causes a lot of stress. If you don’t like the results that you are getting in life, change what you are doing. For example, if you do not like your job find something that you really enjoy doing. If you have a problem and do not take care of it, it is not going to go away by itself. You then dwell and stress about it and all that does is causes you to have more stress and anxiety. Get a handle on stress before it handles you. An excellent book by Dale Carnegie is How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. This book teaches you how to handle problems and worry in very simple and effective ways.
10. Chemical Stress- There are thousands of chemicals, many of which are known to be cancerous, that the FDA has allowed. They are everywhere in our work environment, household cleaning and personal grooming products to our foods in the form of preservatives, artificial sweeteners, flavor enhancers, artificial colors and flavorings to name a few. Lifestyle habits such as cigarettes, illegal drugs, alcohol, prescription drugs, and household cleaning products cause havoc to our bodies.
Not wearing gloves when using cleaning solutions or inhaling the fumes is also very toxic to the lungs, sinuses and kidneys. There are some people that say you can’t eliminate chemicals entirely from our lives. Those are the same people that rationalize why they can’t or don’t eat healthy or exercise. They only smoke a few cigarettes a day, only drink four to five glasses of wine with dinner every night and only drink two sodas a day (Super Big Gulps).
Most cosmetics and make-up contain petroleum and other toxic chemicals. Antiperspirants contain aluminum chlorhydrate. It is amazing how many chemicals most persons ingest, apply, inhale and come in contact with daily. Household cleaning and personal care products are perhaps the most overlooked for creating toxicity and allergies in the body. Misleading food labels compounds the problem by tricking the consumer into believing they are buying an all natural product when in actuality it is not.
There are much safer and better substitutes. For example, there is a crystal rock deodorant that contains no aluminum or other toxic perfumes and chemicals. It is available at most health food and organic stores. It costs about six dollars and will last you about two years. I’ve been using it for over fifteen years. Actress Jennifer Lopez makes a comment about it in the movie Enough. There are also deodorants vs. anti-prespirants which do not contain aluminum chlorhydrate. Read labels and become knowledgeable.
There are now many healthy choices from natural mineral make-up for women to non-toxic cleaners and organic foods. You just need to educate yourself a little more. Don’t you and your family deserve the best? Some people say they can’t afford to buy these products. Here’s what a patient of mine once told me. “I buy Rice Dream for my children instead of cows’ milk even though it is a little more expensive but, in the long run my children rarely get sick anymore so I don’t have to take them to the doctor hardly ever. Yeah it costs a little more than cow’s milk but I save a lot more money in the long run by not having to take my kids to the doctor and spend on doctor visits and antibiotics.”
The less you violate any of the TEN MOST COMMON CAUSES OF PAIN AND DISEASE the healthier and happier you’ll be. You’ll probably live a lot longer too. This can be a good thing, if you’re healthy.
1. EAT/DRINK HEALTHIER- Follow the 80/20 Rule. Eat and drink healthier eighty percent of the time. Twenty percent of the time eat whatever you want, but don’t pig out. For example, if you eat three meals a day and have two snacks per day that’s five times in a day that you eat something. Eighty percent of five meals equals four. That means 4 out of five times eat healthy and then allow yourself to cheat 1 time per day. Maybe make it a snack you cheat with. Remember, moderation is the key. Obviously if you overdo it when you “cheat” that will only work against you. Strive to eat more organic fruits and vegetables. Take high quality food based vitamin supplements. Supplements that you see advertised as “doctor recommended” are not the best choice when it comes to quality. I have researched dozens of vitamin companies and I recommend and use Standard Process. You can learn more about these organic food based vitamins athttp://www.StandardProcess.com
Drink ½ your body weight of filtered water in ounces. For example if you weigh 130 lbs. you would drink 65 ounces of water per day. If you drink more water then you will naturally drink less soda, tea, coffee and alcoholic drinks. If you do drink tea once in a while, be sure to avoid sugar and sugar substitutes. Instead use natural Stevia or honey. Or try getting used to unsweetened lemon flavored tea. It really is just a matter of getting your tasted buds used to the new flavor and forming new habits which take a few weeks.
2. EXERCISE- At least four times a week you should do some type of exercise. A good rule of thumb is to not go more than two days without some type of exercise. Remember, if you have not exercised in a while start slow and gradually build up. Weather permitting walk outdoors and get a little sunshine. Incorporate a combination of cardio and strength training into your exercise routine. Maybe take up a sport like tennis, basketball, ping pong to add variety to your exercise routine.
3. INVERSION- Get an Inversion machine and start hanging upside down for 1 minute a day. Inversion reverses the compression effects of gravity. It is the best way to treat back problems and keeps them from starting. It also helps rehydrate the discs to prevent disc degeneration. Click on the inversion tab on the home page and read more about Inversion Therapy. I cannot stress enough how it changed my life and the lives and health of hundreds of my patients. Dozens of these patients would have had spinal surgery had it not been for Inversion Therapy. I still hang at least once a day (usually 2-3 times) for only 20-30 seconds. I have been using inversion for over twenty years. Read more about Inversion and the wonderful benefits on this site. Look for the Inversion tab & I Hang, I Stretch, I Heal tab.
4. POSTURE- Good posture is important for good spinal health. Spinal health is vital for a normal functioning nervous system which in turn supplies the life force energy or electrical nerve supply to all your internal organs, glands and muscles. Good posture also prevents back and neck pain. As you start to exercise, you will notice your posture improving. You also need to make a conscious effort to maintain good posture whether you are sitting, standing, driving, doing housework, reading, working on the computer or even when you’re sleeping. I cannot stress the importance of good posture to prevent back and neck pain and many health problems.
5. BODYWORK- A good Chiropractor and Massage Therapist are vital to your health and well being. There are also other Natural Holistic Practitioners like Acupuncturists, Naturopaths and Homeopaths that can be important for your health care team. The goal is to take a proactive approach to your health and not a reactive one. Preventions is key. When something does go wrong you don’t want to mask it with OTC or prescription drugs. You want to get to the cause and find natural treatments. I recommend a once a month body alignment/tune-up for optimal health. Studies have shown that chiropractic adjustments to the spine lower blood pressure, improves your immune system, gets rid of migraines, headaches, muscle spasms and tension, allergies, leg/arm pain and much more. Once you understand the importance of your spine, spinal cord and all the nerves that exit the spine you will understand how important it is to remove any nerve interference from your spine whether or not there is any pain in the spine. Having a spinal adjustment regularly keeps you feeling and functioning as best as possible. PREVENTION IS THE KEY!
6. REDUCE CHEMICALS- We have grown numb to the fact that we have allowed thousands of chemicals to be used in the foods we eat and the air we breathe. Those chemicals are also in our personal care products, household cleaning products, air fresheners, food and water containers etc. We CAN reduce many of those dangerous chemicals. We also don’t have to believe and buy every new product that comes out on television. Here are some ways to reduce some of those chemicals:
Maintaining balance in all areas of our lives is so important. We should not neglect play time. We should also spend a little time each day to be grateful for the things we have. Meditation, prayer or using affirmations are ways to keep balance in those areas of our lives. Life needs to be fun. It should not be all work and no play. Make time to play or do the things you enjoy every week. Love what you do or change what you’re doing. Maybe it’s time for a career change. Life is too short to not enjoy your work. Work smarter not harder. Give thanks and praise every day. Rest when your body calls for it. Work hard play hard but also work smart play smart.
It is just as important to give as it is to receive. Be generous with your time, talents and money. Try to help the less fortunate. There are many good organizations to get involved with. Be of service to others with a loving, caring and wanting to help attitude. Fix any broken relationships even if it means you picking up the phone and making the call first. Help make this planet better for all. You’ll be glad you did!
There are many good websites giving you advice on how to get a good night sleep. Most are good common sense suggestions like: Go to bed at a regular time so you do not disrupt the circadian rhythm; Your bedroom should not be too hot or too cold; Don’t eat a heavy meal right before bedtime; Drink a warm glass of milk before bed; Manage the stress and excessive worry and so on.
While these are all good tips for getting a good night sleep it is not an all inclusive list. If you have problems sleeping , it is crucial to find the root cause of why you are not getting a good night sleep. If you don’t know what the cause of your insomnia is how can you effectively treat the problem? The correct diagnosis leads to the proper treatment. This applies to any symptom or health concern.
We have been programmed by television commercials to take a pill for anything and everything that bothers us. If we a headache take a pill. Take two of these pills for all day relief of your arthritis pain. We can easily go to the drugstore and pick up a non-prescription drug for just about any symptom you may suffer from. The pharmaceutical companies figured out they would sell billions of dollars more if those drugs were available without a prescription. You have seen and heard the commercials ….”Now available without a doctor’s prescription”. While I’m not totally against these types of medicines, I am concerned about people self medicating for years and years with these types of pills and never correcting the problem. The problem is NOT your body lacking these pills.
The pharmaceutical companies also figured a way to get you to go to the doctor and ask for a specific drug. You have also seen and heard those commercials, “Ask your doctor if this medication is right for you”. You may have even gone to the doctor and asked for a prescription drug by name.
The bottom line is this. There are always going to be people that don’t want to make the lifestyle changes needed to get your body back in balance and healthy. It is much easier to drive down to the local drugstore and pick up some pills. Besides the commercials have brainwashed those people into believing that that acid reflux or GERD or heartburn is too much acid….so what you need is an acid blocker. The truth is you need to make some lifestyle changes. Most people need to improve their diet. You need to start adding more fruits and vegetables and less fried, packaged, snack foods, bleached white flour or even wheat as many people have gluten intolerance. I could go on and on but this article is about how to get a good night sleep. Read The Seven Healthy Habits and The Ten Most Common Causes of Pain And Disease
You’re probably saying to yourself, “I went to the doctor because I was having trouble sleeping but all he/she did was prescribe sleeping pills”. Yes sleeping pills can help get you to sleep but sleeping pills have limited uses. They may help, for example, during an overnight airplane ride or taken during a crisis. The problems with sleeping pills is they can be addictive and in many cases leaving you feeling groggy the next day. Doctors and patients have come to learn that long-term use has more risks than benefits. Today, most insomnia patients are not prescribed sleeping pills and most insomnia patients who do take drugs use them briefly.
Excessive alcohol intake (more then 2 drinks) can also do the same thing. But is that what you really want to do. I don’t think so. You need to find the cause of why you are not getting a good night sleep. This is why I also teach my patients The Best Doctor For You Is You. Read the full article here
In summary you need to find out WHY you are not getting a good night sleep. What is the cause? Is it stress? Financial problems, poor diet, lack of exercise, a problem in your spine especially in the neck can be the cause or causes of you not getting a good night sleep. With this in mind here are The 7 Best Tips To Get A Good Night Sleep.
1. Exercise- By far one of the best and safest ways to get a good night sleep, feel good and get healthy is exercise. Whether it’s a 45 minute Zumba Dance workout or a fast paced walk for 45-60 minutes it will help you tremendously. Obviously if you are just starting out you may want to start with a 15-20 minute workout and then gradually build up.
2. Nutrition- You are what you eat. Period. If you eat and drink junk foods and high sugar, high caffeine drinks your body will eventually malfunction.
3. Lights out- Night lights or alarm clock lights can be disturbing. Cover with a hand towel.
4. Sounds – Your partner snoring can be disturbing and affect you being able to sleep well. Use ear plugs, have your partner use nasal strips, better pillow, sleep on their side. Use calming sounds like relaxing music to help you fall asleep.
5. Spinal problems particularly in the neck can cause insomnia. Get your spine checked by a Chiropractic Spine Specialist.
6. Reduce/Eliminate Stress- Stop worrying about things which you have no control. Read How To Stop Worrying And Start Living by Dale Carnegie. Read some other positive inspiring book every night 15-30 minutes at bedtime.
7. Meditation- Learn and practice this powerful technique which has gained enormous popularity in the last decade.
Obviously there are many more good tips than this short list. For more a extensive and detailed list go to:
Remember the important thing is to find the reason/cause of why you are not able to get a good night sleep. If you cannot figure it out on your own get help from a healthcare professional who will educate not just medicate.
Dr. Oz, Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Joseph Mercola, Dr. Andrew Weil, Dr. Carlos Gonzalez and many other doctors know it can. Not only Heart Disease but Diabetes, Cancer and many other diseases that plague millions of Americans can also be reversed.
How? It really starts with the way you think about sickness, disease and healthcare. We have been programmed to believe that if you get these diseases you have to take medicine (prescription drugs with all their dangerous side effects) for the rest of your life. And if these diseases run in your family you’ll end up with those same diseases too and then you are doomed for life. That’s what the pharmaceutical companies want you to believe. The more people believe these lies the happier the pharmaceutical companies and their stockholders become.
Change your way of thinking by reading books by the doctors I mentioned in the beginning of this article.
Secondly, these diseases CAN be reversed by having a healthy diet, exercise, meditation, quality nutritional supplements and reducing stress in your life. If you need help there are many alternative practitioners who are more than willing to coach you along the way. This is my reason for this website….to give you hope and encouragement.
Become your own best doctor. Dr. Oz and Dr. Michael Rozien (chair of the Cleveland Clinic’s Wellness Institute) wrote YOU: The Owners Manual . I have not yet read it but it reminds me of the chapter from my book ( Hanging Out For The Health Of It) The Best Doctor For You Is You.
So what are you waiting for? Get started today to start living a Healthier, Happier and Longer Life!
Hi everybody! Just want to remind you that in doing the RESET CHALLENGE it is not about dieting, starving or going hungry. It is about RESETTING your metabolism and eating habits. It’s about developing new healthy habits. How do we do that? Through making better food, drink and snack choices. It is also through exercise that will help RESET our metabolisms. It is a scientific fact that exercising in the morning tends to help burn those calories throughout the day. BUT…I understand many of you CANNOT exercise in the morning. So should you just skip this part? …..of course not. Many of you play tennis in the evenings and that’s GREAT! But remember that you need to change your routines in order for your body to not adapt and stagnate. If you play mostly doubles, get a singles game in there every now and then. A good cardio workout should be a CONTINUOUS walk, jog, run for at least 30 minutes. A good fast walk for 30 -40 minutes daily will definitely help RESET your metabolism and give you a good cardio workout. Playing tennis is great but it doesn’t quite give us that cardio training/workout unless you’re playing some serious singles matches.
You can also incorporate some resistance training into your workout routine. Some light weights, exercise bands, Total Gym and Bow Flex are all good. If you have any questions or specific needs etc. please email me or leave a comment.
Healthy Snacks : All veggies and fruits are good to snack on. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrot chips, celery, purple cabbage, jicama, avocados, radish, bell peppers, go great with a yogurt dip instead of sour cream dips or ranch dressing. Season the plain yogurt with whatever spices you like. I prefer a blend of cayenne pepper, sea salt, nutritional yeast flakes and garlic powder to season my foods. I use this blend whenever I want to season anything.
Protein bars with a little peanut butter and an apple are a great tasting and filling snack. You have to be picky about the protein bars you choose and the peanut butter as well. Most protein bars are glamorized hyped up candy bars. Most peanut butters have added ingredients like sugar, hydrogenated oils so you got to read the ingredients. Once you find the healthy choices it’s faster and easier going to the grocery store. Choose organic produce when possible. It’s free of pesticides herbicides etc. Also I stay away from red delicious apples as they tend to be higher in sugar content than the other varieties. I personally stay away from sugar as much as possible and the artificial sweeteners like Splenda which has too many side effects like anxiety, memory loss to name just a few.
Raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, raw trail mix, pumpkin seeds are good healthy snack but limit these.
Rice cakes are a tasty snack too….you can also use peanut butter or low fat cheese on them.
If you’re hungry you don’t have to eat a snack. Try drinking more water. Some people don’t drink enough because they don’t want to have to go wee wee so much BUT we all need to drink a little more water.
Break from traditions. Who said you cannot have scrambled eggs or a spinach omelet for dinner? Try new foods, new food combinations and at different times. Eat meats, vegetables, nuts, seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar. Remember…You cannot out exercise a poor diet!
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that affects approximately 5 million people and the number keeps growing at an alarming rate. Doctor’s once thought that the pain patients were complaining about was “in their heads”. We now know that the pains and symptoms associated with fibromyalgia are real. The most common symptoms of fibromyalgia are:
-Anxiety or depression
-Specific tender points
There are 18 specific tender points doctors use to help them diagnose this condition. Women between 25 -60 are more susceptible to developing fibromyalgia. They are 10 times more likely to develop the condition than men.
There are many theories about the causes of fibromyalgia, but research has yet to pinpoint a clear culprit. Some doctors believe hormonal or chemical imbalances disrupt the way nerves signal pain. Others suggest a traumatic event or chronic stress may increase a person’s susceptibility. New research suggest that certain genetic mutations that may make you more susceptible to developing the disorder. Those genetic mutations could be trigger or caused by the hundreds of chemicals in our daily lives. Most experts agree that fibromyalgia probably results from a combination of factors rather than a single cause.
What makes fibromyalgia symptoms worse? There are some common triggers which include:
- Cold or humid weather
- Too much or too little physical activity
- Poor sleep
-Physical or emotional trauma
Many women also suffer with depression as a result of this poorly understood condition. Some researchers believe the depression may be as a result of the pain and fatigue. Other researchers suggest brain chemistry abnormalities which may also be related to hormonal changes.
Treatments include over the counter pills for pain to prescription drugs which include anti-depressants like Duloxetine (Cymbalta) and milnacipran (Savella) which may help ease the pain and fatigue associated with fibromyalgia. Your doctor may prescribe amitriptyline or fluoxetine (Prozac) to help promote sleep.
There are safer and natural herbal and homeopathic medicines to do the same things as these drugs do WITHOUT risks and side effects. Other natural treatments include acupuncture, chiropractic , massage, nutritional supplements and exercise. As a Doctor of Chiropractic many patients have come to me and report they are tired of taking so many prescriptions drugs with their related side effects. This is why natural treatments like Chiropractic have been able to help millions of people. You could be next.
Exercise can also help relieve fatigue and depression. Simple exercises like walking, stretching, swimming, water aerobics, tai chi, chi gong and yoga are all excellent forms of exercise for anyone with fibromyalgia.
Certain foods can trigger and worsen the symptoms of fibromyalgia. These foods include: NutraSweet (aspartame), monosodium glutamate (msg), caffeine and nightshades like tomatoes. It’s important to listen to your body to see if any of these foods seem to worsen your condition. Once you’ve identified a possible trigger you can eliminate that food or foods which contain these chemicals and see if your symptoms improve.
On a different note, it was gratifying to see WEBMD include natural treatments like Chiropractic in their recommendations for treating fibromyalgia. It has long been overdue but the time has come for ALL doctors to come together and help all patients with every possible treatment.
Read more health tips on my Facebook page!https://www.facebook.com/CarlosMGonzalezDC?ref=hl
I want to be your "Go to Source" for Natural Health & Wellness techniques and tips on Natural Pain Relief so you can live a Happier, Healthier, More Successful, Inspired and Productive Life!