While these are all good tips for getting a good night sleep it is not an all inclusive list. If you have problems sleeping , it is crucial to find the root cause of why you are not getting a good night sleep. If you don’t know what the cause of your insomnia is how can you effectively treat the problem? The correct diagnosis leads to the proper treatment. This applies to any symptom or health concern.
We have been programmed by television commercials to take a pill for anything and everything that bothers us. If we a headache take a pill. Take two of these pills for all day relief of your arthritis pain. We can easily go to the drugstore and pick up a non-prescription drug for just about any symptom you may suffer from. The pharmaceutical companies figured out they would sell billions of dollars more if those drugs were available without a prescription. You have seen and heard the commercials ….”Now available without a doctor’s prescription”. While I’m not totally against these types of medicines, I am concerned about people self medicating for years and years with these types of pills and never correcting the problem. The problem is NOT your body lacking these pills.
The pharmaceutical companies also figured a way to get you to go to the doctor and ask for a specific drug. You have also seen and heard those commercials, “Ask your doctor if this medication is right for you”. You may have even gone to the doctor and asked for a prescription drug by name.
The bottom line is this. There are always going to be people that don’t want to make the lifestyle changes needed to get your body back in balance and healthy. It is much easier to drive down to the local drugstore and pick up some pills. Besides the commercials have brainwashed those people into believing that that acid reflux or GERD or heartburn is too much acid….so what you need is an acid blocker. The truth is you need to make some lifestyle changes. Most people need to improve their diet. You need to start adding more fruits and vegetables and less fried, packaged, snack foods, bleached white flour or even wheat as many people have gluten intolerance. I could go on and on but this article is about how to get a good night sleep. Read The Seven Healthy Habits and The Ten Most Common Causes of Pain And Disease
You’re probably saying to yourself, “I went to the doctor because I was having trouble sleeping but all he/she did was prescribe sleeping pills”. Yes sleeping pills can help get you to sleep but sleeping pills have limited uses. They may help, for example, during an overnight airplane ride or taken during a crisis. The problems with sleeping pills is they can be addictive and in many cases leaving you feeling groggy the next day. Doctors and patients have come to learn that long-term use has more risks than benefits. Today, most insomnia patients are not prescribed sleeping pills and most insomnia patients who do take drugs use them briefly.
Excessive alcohol intake (more then 2 drinks) can also do the same thing. But is that what you really want to do. I don’t think so. You need to find the cause of why you are not getting a good night sleep. This is why I also teach my patients The Best Doctor For You Is You. Read the full article here
In summary you need to find out WHY you are not getting a good night sleep. What is the cause? Is it stress? Financial problems, poor diet, lack of exercise, a problem in your spine especially in the neck can be the cause or causes of you not getting a good night sleep. With this in mind here are The 7 Best Tips To Get A Good Night Sleep.
1. Exercise- By far one of the best and safest ways to get a good night sleep, feel good and get healthy is exercise. Whether it’s a 45 minute Zumba Dance workout or a fast paced walk for 45-60 minutes it will help you tremendously. Obviously if you are just starting out you may want to start with a 15-20 minute workout and then gradually build up.
2. Nutrition- You are what you eat. Period. If you eat and drink junk foods and high sugar, high caffeine drinks your body will eventually malfunction.
3. Lights out- Night lights or alarm clock lights can be disturbing. Cover with a hand towel.
4. Sounds – Your partner snoring can be disturbing and affect you being able to sleep well. Use ear plugs, have your partner use nasal strips, better pillow, sleep on their side. Use calming sounds like relaxing music to help you fall asleep.
5. Spinal problems particularly in the neck can cause insomnia. Get your spine checked by a Chiropractic Spine Specialist.
6. Reduce/Eliminate Stress- Stop worrying about things which you have no control. Read How To Stop Worrying And Start Living by Dale Carnegie. Read some other positive inspiring book every night 15-30 minutes at bedtime.
7. Meditation- Learn and practice this powerful technique which has gained enormous popularity in the last decade.
Obviously there are many more good tips than this short list. For more a extensive and detailed list go to:
Remember the important thing is to find the reason/cause of why you are not able to get a good night sleep. If you cannot figure it out on your own get help from a healthcare professional who will educate not just medicate.